Thursday, January 11, 2018

Boy Howdy Takes Piano

Let me start off by saying that I have never wanted my children to take an instrument. Not that I was against it, it just seemed the type of thing that I would have to force them into and it was not a battle I was willing to wage. There is a Martial Arts studio a few miles away and, for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea for the Boy Howdy. I tried driving him by a few times to see if I could entice him. No love.

The last time we went to look back in December, he asked about his other options for extracurriculars. I didn't want to offer soccer or basketball because, frankly, I didn't want to be roped into coaching the way all parents are at some point. Piano was the first thing that popped into my head so it was the only option I gave him. Surprisingly, he didn't ask for more. Piano. He chose piano. I think because his father has started playing again, and this boy wants to be just like daddy, piano held some allure.

I asked a woman who lives close by if she would be willing to teach my 5-year old. She agreed, and after a few weeks of him asking when it was going to be time for lessons it was finally his turn.

I am still surprised that he seems to genuinely enjoy it. He is excited to go, super pleased to get the treat at the end, and eager to do his piano homework every day. Color me amazed!

P.S. I will get a picture of him at his lessons next week, I promise.

No comments: