Sunday, March 18, 2018

Choose LOVE

A few weeks ago, one of my college roommates (or at least our next-door neighbor), went to a black-tie event hosted by Fenway Health (a LGBT health care, research and advocacy organization headquartered in Boston. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints bought a table to show their love and support. My friend was invited to have a place at the table and was encouraged to share the love our church has for the LGBT community, despite what they may think of us.

This has led to a beautiful discussion amongst our group. So much of it surrounding the importance of love in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I feel as though I've gone through a spiritual reawakening. I feel so alight with enthusiasm that if we could just choose love more often, love for God and love for our fellow men, we would be better aligned with our Heavenly Father than if we focused more like the Jews of old on simply and dutifully obeying the letter of every law. For me, a born rule follower, and one not naturally endowed with loads of compassion, this is a complete revelation.

Yesterday, feeling very inspired by the discussion of my college roommates I decided I wanted quotes about love to fill the walls of my new home. I even thought of a friend who creates beautiful artwork to design them for me. But then my heart was moved to think bigger. To sell her designs and use the profits to donate to a charity that promotes the furtherance of Love. It's not much, and we may never sell more than a few designs, but I want to do my part, no matter how small.

Thankfully I have a husband who studied both intellectual property and tax law in law school and finance in business school. And thankfully my friend is interested in designing for me and letting me license her work for my new project.

This morning as I was looking for quotes for her to design, I came across my new favorite scripture:
"And we know also, that sanctification through the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is just and true, to all those who love and serve God with all their mights, minds, and strength." - Doctrine and Covenants 20:31

To me this scripture rewords the famous scripture in Matthew 10:39 - "He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." When we focus on loving God and our fellow men (and I think by extension ourselves) Christ's grace will cover our shortcomings and we will find that sanctification is a natural byproduct.

In other words, instead of worrying about perfecting myself little by little, even with the help of my Savior's atoning sacrifice, I am going to work on choosing love, and let Christ's grace take care of the rest. Wish me luck.

No comments: