Thursday, June 28, 2018

Booren Family Camping Trip

My brother Paul and I were supposed to plan a family reunion this summer. This is now the second time we have been in charge and have had to put it off a year, for what we feel are VERY good reasons. And for the second time, my brother Jared and sister Melissa have organized a pseudo family reunion camping trip. Six of us with our families joined up in a group campground outside of Springfield Oregon for 3 days of family camping fun.

Matthew couldn't come for the first two days due to severe seasonal allergies. Thankfully I had lots of help from everyone else. And thankfully Matthew found a way to join us for the last day.

In the meantime we played in the water, paddled around in the kayaks Jared borrowed for us, went for a hike, played games, and enjoyed being together. It was Cheeks' first time camping and she was absolutely hooked. I'm pretty sure she lived in her swimsuit for the better part of all three days. If we could have stayed another week, I have no doubt my children would have been totally game. But after spending three days using a port-a-potty, I was ready to go home. Flush toilets were never such a luxury.

One day we went hiking to a place along a small stream where the kids could play. Boy Howdy never ceases to amaze me. When we walk around our neighborhood he is overcome with heat and fatigue about 100 yards from our house. But when we go for hikes he will go miles without a hint of a complaint.

Cheeks did very well herself, although she definitely moves at her own slow pace. When we stopped at the stream I knew she wasn't going to leave dry, but I also didn't expect her to completely soak her pants. Walking back to the car started slow, but quickly turned to almost no movement as walking in wet jeans is uncomfortable. I finally took off her pants and had her pretend that her panties were swim bottoms. She was unconvinced. Finally I got the brilliant idea to transform her jacket into a skirt. That idea was much more palatable and she no longer feared being ogled by her cousins (not that it was an issue)

Boy Howdy LOVED feeling included in the bigger-kid games. He wasn't really, but he didn't know that. He got so excited that at one point he put a lantern cover over his head. Yep, that's my boy.

I think more than anything else, my children LOVED spending all day every day with their cousins. I'm so thankful for my brother and sister and their willingness to put stuff like this together so that my babes can forge these super special bonds.

No comments: