Wednesday, May 29, 2019

DoodahTurns 7

There is something about 7 in my mind that feels like the start of older childhood. Six is still little, but 7 feels SO big. It helps that I feel like I'm finally getting a truer sense of the teenager and man Doodah is destined to become.

But before we get to that, let's first start by recapping his birthday.

Because Memorial Day always falls close to Doodah's birthday, and especially since he started school, we began a new tradition  of letting him open his presents on Memorial Day and then celebrating more on his actual birthday.

The best part of letting him open presents early is that he is constantly trying to finagle something or other and had tried to negotiate opening just the gift from his sister early. Imagine his boundless joy when I told him he got to open not only hers (a Pokemon stuffie) but Matthew and my gift as well (a scooter). And to only add to his ecstasy, his grandparents and I took him to Build-a-Bear to get a new stuffie from both sets of grandparents. All of this great pleasure a full two days before his actual birthday. I never get tired of seeing Doodah when he gets more than his wildest dreams. His whole body radiates with joy and gratitude.

His actual birthday is on a Wednesday, so after going to school (bringing little donuts for his class), we went to Get Air where some of his friends joined us for his very first for-reals-with-actual-invitations-and-goody-bags birthday party. He didn't get the turnout he had hoped for, but because of it being in the middle of the week across town, it didn't totally surprise me. But we more or less had the entire gym to ourselves and he was still extremely gracious with the presents he received, which were pretty cool.

Oh how I love my Doodah. I love that he would rather create from his own imagination than follow instructions. I love seeing, and am in constant awe, of  the ingenious creations he dreams up with his legos. I also love that he sees a box and turns it into trains, monsters, or anything else his quick mind dreams up with enough tape, glue and markers. I love that he loves playing with his sister. He will almost never admit it to her, but he loves her just as much as she loves him. I love that he spends his time in bed thinking of math problems or life problems (the most recent being that bones must grow as you get bigger because otherwise your adult skin would be super floppy over your child-sized bones). I love (and sometimes hates) that he is almost always in negotiation mode and will make you shake his hand when you've reached some agreement. This boy never takes no for an answer and will make a shrewd business man someday I am sure. I love that he claims he will never be too old to cuddle with me or hold my hand. I love that he has started asking children on the buddy bench at school (meaning they have no one to play with) to play with him. Sometimes the kids say no, but he keeps asking. I love that he is excited to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a year and seems to have a decent concept about what that entails.

This boy, I am still amazed that I love every phase and would not wish him younger. I loved him as a baby and toddler and preschooler, but I love him this age too. Happy Birthday my sweet boy.

No comments: