Thursday, May 9, 2019

My Parents Have Moved Back to Oregon

My parents faithfully served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the past 18 months and now they live in Oregon, a few blocks away from me. When we lived in Pennsylvania and my parents lived in Virginia the kids and I used to make the trek down to see them every month and a half or so. They even came to visit us a few times. But there is something so heavenly about having them a 5-minute walk away.

Aside from the crazy amounts of service they have provided to me since they've been back, I have loved watching my children have a relationship with them that I never got with my own grandparents. My parents and I routinely ask my kids if they see each other too often, and the answer is always the same, "never". My children can't get enough of their grandparents. It is a beautiful companionship they enjoy.

I also love spending time with them. I feel bad sometimes that I drop in too often on them, but so far they haven't seemed to mind. Or I feel guilty that they chose West Salem when so many of my siblings would have loved them living close to them. But feeling guilty serves no helpful purpose so instead I choose gratitude. I'm thankful my parents felt impressed to move into my area, I'm thankful for their desire to support their children and grandchildren. I'm grateful they are still alive and active. And I'm so thankful I get to benefit so directly from their love and examples.

1 comment:

Skip and Emma Booren said...

Saria,
I read your post with tears of gratitude and joy in my eyes, as I for one am so thankful we are where we are. NO, you do not drop in too often. We will let you know if and when that time comes. I don't expect it ever will.
We both feel this is where the Lord wanted us. Don't yet know why, but we are grateful to Him that this is where we have been planted.
Love,
Dad