Friday, October 30, 2020

Chewkie Gets Surgery

Today my sweet daughter had surgery to lengthen her Achilles tendons on both her ankles today. She was so great on the way up (at 5am), groggy and cranky on the way home, peppy as she played with her LOL glamping van she got as a surgery gift, and then so sad at bedtime as the reality of what the next month + looks like for her set in. I think there were a lot of tired emotions thrown in for good measure but I don't blame her for wishing the recovery away. Poor little dear. 

Walking was hard for her today as she was working on retraining her center of gravity and trying to heft the extra weight on her legs. I had to hold her up for the most part or Matthew and I carried her. At one point after dinner at my parents she attempted walking all on her own. We were all so proud of her. 

I am so grateful that Chewkie is such a plucky, optimistic little girl. This will be a trying experience for her but I know she will make the best of it. I am also grateful for the inspiration to buy fun surgery gifts for both the kids today (Doodah got an electronic golf ball he can steer with his tablet).




P.S. For the record, Chewkie opted for surgery on the day before Halloween. I suspect she wanted to show off her new casts to her friends, but she also claimed to want to get it done and over with as soon as possible.

No comments: