Saturday, July 1, 2023

Fun Mom Day


This week, Matthew went to be with his sister Megan in Florida. In the past, the kids and I would have done all the fun things with him gone, but this summer I am trying to work and be a mom and finding the balance is proving more difficult than I thought. It doesn't help that I was gone last week for Girls Camp and next week we are going to Family Reunion so I had one week to catch up on work and get things accomplished. It meant that the kids had a lot of time to figure out how to entertain themselves at home. 

They did really well, but the mom guilt hit me big time. By Saturday we were all ready to have fun together. We quickly got our house remotely tidied and then headed out to the coast. First, we stopped to go shopping. Luca bought a figurine of a hedgehog in a quaint little shop with lots of dollhouse paraphernalia. Luca was in heaven. Dude found a pocket watch with a dragon emblazoned on the outside. I found a bunch of salt-water taffy I felt we all NEEDED. 

After shopping, we headed to the beach. You never know what you're going to get when you head to the Oregon coast. We managed to get sunshine but it was super windy. Windy enough that even Dude decided to  warm up in his hoodie. We found a reprieve from the wind by some logs but after an hour or so the kids were ready to head out. We stopped for a fun lunch at a local restaurant and drove home. We cuddled later watching a movie and I got to feel, at least for the day, that I wasn't totally neglecting my sweet children. I am forever grateful for the grace my children give me everyday.

No comments: