Friday, December 4, 2009

Dance Team

I work with a woman at the high school who's also the coach of the dance team. It's a small squad and the program is nothing like the team I was on in high school, but when I was asked to judge their tryouts, it brought back memories all the same. I felt slightly anxious about the prospect at first considering I was no great dancer in my day, but found I did okay once I got there.
It was fun seeing these cute and nervous girls perform a routine they had barely learned. I totally remember being in that position. Smiling so big hoping it would distract the judges from my less than stellar footwork. I couldn't help but smile back at the girls and love them for putting themselves out there.
The other moment of the evening that brought back a flood of memories was drill down. It's an odd component of the dance team competition that involves doing dancified military maneuvers (right face, left face, parade rest) with precision. If you move the wrong way or twitch at an inopportune time you are out. The last person standing wins. Despite having some trouble knowing my right from my left, drill down was probably my biggest strength as a dance teamer. So seeing these girls doing it that night brought back so many memories. Especially of the infamous dance team who would toot aka fart their way to victory as they startled and grossed the other dancers out. Ah dance team, what a lovely memory.
Any way, that is what I want to share. Thanks Marie for inviting me to be a part of it!

1 comment:

ME said...

I always sucked at drill down. I too miss Dance Team. I'd love to be involved in some capacity but right now I don't have the time or energy. It's cool that you found a way.