Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving For Two

I grew up in a large family. And while we never grew up or really even knew our extended family, it didn't stop us from having a lot of people over to help celebrate Thanksgiving. We were the family that took in the strays from church and my dad's Marine squadron. Anyone who didn't have anywhere else to go came to our house. And they always left with a pie. My mother cooked for days, making 20-30 pies so everyone got one and us kids still had enough to eat for breakfast for the next week. That to me is the true Thanksgiving tradition - having pie for breakfast the morning after.
This year, Matt and I decided to stay in town. We figured, surely someone will invite us over for Thanksgiving. We've always had the offer before, despite always having other plans, why should State College be any exception? But with Thanksgiving eking closer and no one coming forward, I finally faced reality. It was just going to be the two of us. So Matthew and I looked at our options. Matthew didn't care. As far as he was concerned we could start a new tradition and make Indian curry for our Thanksgiving feast. As tempting as that sounded, I thought to myself, "Self, you are a full-fledged 31 year-old. You are quite old enough and competent enough to woman-up and make a Thanksgiving dinner all by your onesies."
So I bought a Turkey breast, because do two people really need a full Turkey, stuffing, the Booren's Green Jello fixings, as well as other Thanksgiving grocery needs. And when the day came, we had a successful little Thanksgiving for two, complete with pie for breakfast.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

BRAVO!
...You're invited for Thanksgiving next year....

Jen Hicks said...

I am excited for the day when we can have Thanksgiving at our house with a small crowd. Way to woman up! Sure love ya. Oh,AND our door is always open:)