Sunday, February 27, 2011

Rich for Bish

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints there is no campaigning for positions or callings. There are also no elections, voting, or payment. There are only good men and women, called of God, trying their best at whatever they've been asked to do. However, a friend of mine from college always thought that if there were campaigning, "Rich for Bish" would be very catchy. I agree.

But with that qualifier, I sent an email to a woman in my ward, who's calling is to be in charge of the Young Women, letting her know that should the Spirit direct her in such a way to call me to help her with the Laurels (16-18 year-old young women) I would shout for joy at the privilege. There are a few particular girls with whom I have absolutely fallen in love and I would so enjoy the chance of watching them, and in a small part helping them, discover the incredible women they are destined to become.

I realize that my efforts at campaigning just sealed my fate at not having that calling. I think the only calling in the church for which I have seen a successful campaign was to be the nursery (children ranging from 18 months to 3 years old) leader.

I was feeling kind of sorry for myself, will I really be able to wake up at 5:20 am for the next three months and all of next year? Is this really what God expects out of me? But as I was sitting in church today, I realized that I have come to LOVE my three quirky students, such that I wonder if anyone else could love them the way I do. They are such a joy to me. But what I really love is the personal growth I have seen in myself over the past 6 months. I don't think you can immerse yourself in the scriptures (enough to teach a 50 minute lesson every weekday) and not come out on the other side with a greater testimony of our Savior and His love for His children. What a huge blessing it has been to start every morning in such a way.

So after this kind of meandering post, I just have to say to my fellow Mormons, you might think you have the best calling the Church, but try being a seminary teacher and then come talk to me. Because then you'll know what I have only recently come to know - that teaching Seminary is the best calling in the Church!

2 comments:

Claudia said...

I think we should be able to campaign to be RELEASED from a calling. Whenever I talk to someone new and tell them I am the Enrichment committee leader, they always respond, "How fun!" To which I think, "yeah, the only reason you're saying that is because it's not YOUR calling." The point of my rant is to say that I DON'T think I have the best calling in the church - I fully support your claim!

Natalie said...

I, too, believe that campaigning seals your fate. Which is why I quietly, patiently, hopefully wait for the day when I will be called as Primary Pianist!

...Probably won't be until I have arthritis and can't see out of one eye....