Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Vacation Beds


Matthew had a business trip in Vancouver, BC so I convinced him to drive and drop the kids and I off at my friend Leslie's house in Seattle on his way. The drive may have been less than ideal. The 3 hour drive quickly turned in to 5 almost 6 hours due to Sunday traffic and multiple car wrecks impeding flow. I'm guessing that the traffic didn't help Cheeks' tummy because she threw up twice. I also input the wrong address in our GPS and ended up at a residence most definitely not belonging to my friend. I'm pretty certain Matthew will not be making the drive next year and will most assuredly opt to fly, but at least he made it this time and we got to spend time with my darling friend.

Our children, minus some weird dinosaur issues, played well together which left Leslie and I with a lot of time to talk. I love Leslie. I love that we may not see or talk to each other for months or years and yet it is always so very easy to be with her. I'm sure I was a little hoarse at the end of our stay.
One of the things I love most is that we are the same age and our children are roughly the same ages. As a woman who didn't get pregnant until my 30's this is a rarity indeed. Not that any of those things is a necessity in a friend, but it's nice to have at least one other person in the same boat.

The first night the kids had no intention of going to bed. They insisted they were not tired and did EVERYTHING except sleep in their room. They came out NUMEROUS times until finally they claimed they wanted to sleep in my bed. Out of desperation I said yes and put them in my bed with the promise I would be in to cuddle shortly. One more set of tears from Cheeks claiming Boy Howdy was pushing her away followed and I put Cheeks on one side of the bed and Boy Howdy on the other again promising I would be in soon. I didn't hear from them after that. When I did make it in to go to bed I found them cuddled up with each other; Cheeks with eye liner and under eye concealer on her face (I guess she found my makeup). What cute little faces. I got some pictures and then transferred them to their own beds so I could sleep sans children. It didn't much matter because 6 hours later they were back for some for realsies cuddle time with mama.

The rest of the stay was fairly uneventful and completely delightful made even more lovely with a very easy, non-throwup drive home.

No comments: