Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Boy Howdy Loses a Tooth

Boy Howdy lost his first tooth at school today. They were so prepared. They sent him to the office to get his protective tooth necklace to make sure it made it home safely.

A few days ago when it first became loose the kids told me all about the tooth fairy and how she brings money to children who lose their teeth. I'm pretty sure I have never told my babes about the tooth fairy and yet somehow they became educated on her exploits all the same. That's fine. Whatever. When I asked how much money she paid for teeth, Boy Howdy put up both hands and proudly answered, "Ten!"
"Ten whole cents?" I asked incredulously.
"Yes!!"

I was amazed at his excessively low expectations. Wahoo!!

On the day the tooth in the necklace came home, Boy Howdy had started to express his doubt in the reality of the tooth fairy. Was she real or just a fairy tale? He even expressed his concern in his prayer that night. I was touched at his sincerity. Though I couldn't decide if I was impressed with his reasoning skills or the lack of magic I have provided my boy.

Without mentioning the tooth fairy (because I just couldn't bring myself to do it, I have similar issues with Santa and the Easter Bunny) I left him 10 dimes (get it?!?) certain he would be so excited that his expectations were most definitely exeeded. He wasn't initially very interested the next morning (being sleepy will do that for you) but once awake he was over the moon with his good fortune. Ten whole dimes. In addition to the money he received for his jogathon, he was pretty sure he was now a rich boy. His enthusiasm for school has finally started to wane, but this excitement had him running to the bus stop to share with anyone who would listen.

My babies are getting older. In some ways it is sad, but I'm pretty in love with this stage too!

No comments: