Wednesday, November 2, 2022

What's next


This is the question I felt inspired to take to General Conference this past October. What's next. Now that I don't have a time consuming calling, and my children are getting more independent, what does Heavenly Father have in store for me? The answer I got during Conference, and then through the course of the next few weeks was, whatever I wanted. God trusted me to make a good choice, but the mandate, that I got when I started teaching seminary, to prioritize my calling over any other outside pursuit was lifted. I started feeling out different part-time work options. 

I talked to, and interviewed at a couple different places but in the end, the accounting firm I've been contracting with for the last 14 years was able to come back with consistent hours for me (something they weren't sure they'd be able to do). Part of me wonders why I went through that exercise since I just ended where I started, but then I'm grateful too. I got to examine what I want from a job: no to full-time, no to punching a clock, yes to using my brain in nerdy ways. I got to feel confident in my abilities even with a 10-year partial pause and I got to feel desired for those abilities, even if just by small, local, outfits.

I am looking forward to working more consistently, and once again blessing my family through the money I am able to bring in. We have a really lofty financial goal we are trying to make by next year. It's doable if a lot of pieces fall into place, but not if any of them fall through. If meeting this goal is the will of God, which Matthew and I kind of think it is, then we will meet it, but only by His grace. I told Matthew that if me working more is part of God's grace, I am happy to do my part, I just want my own desk to do it. 

No comments: