Friday, December 16, 2022

Robotics

 

Ever since Dude was in first grade, I've been dreaming of him getting to 4th grade when he could do Battle of the Books and Robotics. I thought if we could just get him to 4th grade he could find his other nerd people to make school more fun.

Sadly, in 4th grade, the school didn't get around to doing either extra-curricular activity. This year, the librarian worked with me to get Battle of the Books together (though only Luca opted to do it), and the 5th grade teachers started Robotics back up. Dude hasn't been as interested in Robotics as I would like, coding doesn't hold lots of interest for him, but I counseled him that it will be more fun than he thinks it will be and to give it a try.

He missed the initial cutoff day because he didn't have enough notice to turn in his application, but I asked around with the 5th grade teachers and they were happy to let him turn it in late. Part of the application is an essay detailing why you want to do Robotics. Above is Dude's. I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet the letter of the rules, but I don't know how a 5th grade teacher couldn't be entertained by it's spirit.

If you can't read it, it says:

Why I want to join robotics club.

  1. All my peers are egging me to join.
  2. I love building with legos and always dream of them coming to life.
  3. I have a lot of empty time to fill.
  4. It sounds like a lot of fun.
  5. It might show up on my college resume.
  6. I like to fiddle with electrical devices.
Followed by a moving robot saying, "Whirr! Please let me join!"

He got in.

No comments: