Monday, November 17, 2008

Stolen and Restored

Last Friday afternoon (don't know where I was) Matt's back passenger-side window got smashed. Our temple bags were on the backseat. I'm guessing the culprit greedily thought they were laptop bags but ditched them when he/she/they realized they weren't going to profit from their find. At the time we didn't think they had taken anything else, including his CD's hanging out next to the driver's seat.

A day later we got a phone call from a member of our ward saying he had our scriptures and would bring them to us at church the next day. Apparently, this man's dentist found them on the side of the road as he was biking to work. He figured they probably belonged to a Mormon and called this Mormon friend to help return them to their owner. Thankfully Matt's name is written in the scriptures and thankfully this Mormon friend is a member of our ward. So we were able to get them back almost before we knew they had been taken.

The best part of the story is that this is the second time this set of scriptures has been stolen and providentially returned. The first time being on his mission in South Korea.

The worst part of the story is that it's going to cost more than $200 to get the window replaced. Definitely not what I want to be spending $200+ on right now.

4 comments:

Christy said...

So did they leave your temple bags in the back seat? Or were they ditched near by? I am so glad you got your scriptures back. That is so fortuitous. (I sure hope that is how you spell that word.)

Claudia said...

Wow...I totally know how that feels (I'm pretty sure I've told you the story). Unfortunately, in addition to my laptop, they stole a bag from my car--similarly to your situation, I used to put my temple clothes in there, but didn't have them in there at the time, though my scriptures WERE in there, and I never got them back. All my years of marking, cross referencing, etc. just gone. I still miss them. And I remember spending the $150-ish to get my window replaced. Sorry it happened, but glad you got the important stuff back.

Ariana said...

Wow, glad you got some stuff back. I would imagine, if we believed in Karma, that it would be particularly bad Karma to steal scriptures and temple bags.... ;-)

Sara said...

Totally bad karma. I wonder what happened to the punker who stole Claudia's scriptures? That is really sad. There are just some things that money can't buy back.