Saturday, August 29, 2009

Funny Craft Attempt

Two things I've had for a while - These candle sticks my mother bought for me years ago, and a candle making book I bought while I was still living and loving in Portland. Matthew even bought me a bunch of the supplies I needed for Christmas. But with all of that, it wasn't until today that I finally took them out and decided to try my hand at hot wax.
It all started nicely enough. I melted my wax, primed my wick, added what I thought was enough green coloring, and got everything set to make my very own tapered candles. The problems started when I actually started dipping. I couldn't figure out why my candles weren't getting any thicker despite my best efforts. I did a little more research, tried some other tactics but finally gave up on having anything other than unpretty but fully functional candles.
I don't know if you can tell, but they don't look anything like the pretty pictures in my book. But they were funny so I just had to take a picture and show my "I made that" creations. Maybe I should stick with the less tricky version of melting wax and pouring it in a glass. I think I could be successful at that.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

LOL,

Ok my dear friend (who Im so glad to be back in touch with!) I confess I clicked on the picture to see a better view, and had to "lol" at these lovely little creataions.

Would it be in the spirit of your self-deprecating post to note they would be great for holloween? Hee hee..

But I think that's grat that you posted your craft that turned out funny, and I say kudos to you my friend for trying! I think I know for sure i wouldn't have the patience for dipping candles, but you got in there and tried. Bravo!