Friday, May 7, 2010

Confessions From my Parent's Basement

Tonight, I went to a Relief Society activity filled with food, spa treatments, movies, and lots and lots of girl talk. It was fun to get to know a few of the women in my parent's ward and it made me a little sad to have to leave in a few months to be a Penn Stater. There are some really fun women here and it could be a lot of fun to become invested here. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to say the same thing of the women I'll meet in State College.

But even with the really cool women inhabiting the area, not to mention my wonderful family (including amazing parents, adorable nephews and two nieces) I will be happy to move on.

I love my parents and their basement, I really do. Thank you parents for letting us mooch off of you for the last couple of months. But, is it too materialistic to say that I miss my stuff? My spices and cooking supplies, my bed, my TV. Not that my parent's have inferior belongings, they just aren't "mine" anymore. And I am eager to get back to my stuff.

I'm eager to get into a routine again. For some reason, living in a temporary location makes routines difficult for me - even though I'm pretty sure it's all in my head.

I'm eager to invest myself into a new place. Eager to explore my surroundings and fall in love with what makes it unique. Eager to get to know new people and become part of each other's lives. Eager to become involved in the community.

I guess, in essence, I'm eager to feel like my life is moving forward. It's been hard for me to live a temporary existence. I was raised very much to do something with my whole heart or none at all. I want to give of myself and invest, but knowing I'm only here for a few months brings out the less attractive, antsy side of me. I'm trying very hard to see this time as the blessing I know the Lord intends it to be for me. Trying to see my family as much as I can and make sure I fill my canteen with all the momma and grandchildren and sibling time I can possibly fit in there. Trying to enjoy not cooking every night (shouldn't be that hard right?). Trying to make sure I learn everything I should from this experience before it's too late. So hopefully in a couple of months when we're en route to our next adventure I don't look back and realize I didn't put my whole heart into a very special period in my life.

1 comment:

Michael Asay said...

You are always welcome to visit us in the city. Eddie loved having you over last week, and Meg increased her production 103%.