Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The Light is Just so Bright!!!

When we got married, I had savings. Not a ton, but I was headed towards buying a house within a year or so. Then I met and fell in love with my sweetheart who was going to law school and I threw caution to the wind and said yes to him and his student loans.

With that "yes" I immediately went from being in the black to being neck deep in red.  I remember being so sick to my stomach when, after finishing law school, we wrote a check for over $10,000 that went solely to the interest he had accumulated while in school.

For our whole married lives (11 years now) we have talked about how rich we will be when we are done with student loans. We would travel, buy fun stuff (just because we could) and not worry about finances. With my infertility I continued to work after he graduated and we talked about paying off all our loans in 5 years. The light seemed dim but attainable in those years. And then we felt inspired to send Matthew back for more graduate school, this time to get his MBA. That 5-year plan died and with it, the light at the end of the tunnel.

Matthew getting his MBA was by far the best career move he has made to date as he doubled his salary with two more years of school, but someday continued to be a far distant construct for us. Fast forward to the beginning of the year. We had about $30,000 left on his loans and we both felt the impetus to focus on paying them off within the year. It felt daunting but we knew the Lord would help us reach the goal he wanted us to achieve.

Thanks to a generous year-end bonus, paying off my car, and work for me, today we are officially student loan debt free!!! We have finally made it to someday!!! Hallelujah and thanks be to a wonderful Heavenly Father who helped us reach that goal!!

No comments: