Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Aumsville Pond

 

Today the kids and I woke up and got our stuff together so we could go with friends to Aumsville Pond to swim. it was so perfect I could hardly stand it. My friend Emily brought an inflatable rowboat the kids were excited to take out by themselves. 

At some point Doodah started floundering and Emily and I told him to row with both oars at the same time and figure it out. Eventually his straits were a bit more dire and I needed to save the day. I walked/jogged to the other side of the lake/pond and jumped into the algae-encrusted water so I could take over the rowing of the little boat. After not much time at all the boat humbled me an I realized poor Doodah never stood a chance.

Chewkie had swam over to him in a life vest with the intent to rescue her brother but I got to him first. I think she felt I stole her rescuing thunder a bit. After only a few minutes of all of us in the boat together, Doodah took the life vest from his sister and swam off on his own back to our part of the shore. 

Chewkie and I did our level best to steer and oar and drunkingly make our way back. Holy Smokes. It was only after seeing Emily also struggle with rowing by herself that I didn't feel quite so bad about myself.

After three hours we decided to leave. The kids were not happy about it. I'm pretty sure they would have stayed to swim all day if I had let them. As we were heading back to the car, Chewkie decided to sit in some very wet, thick mud (see pictures above) which necessitated another trip back to the water to get cleaned off yet again.

It was a wonderful day and none of us can wait to go back again.

No comments: