Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Booren Family Fun

A few weeks ago the ever expanding Booren clan which now includes Asays, Marlers, and Jones met up in Portland at my parent's house for five days of non-stop playtime. We had bounce houses, and pools, and bows and arrows. We had food and treacherous alpine slides. We had the bi-annual pictures, and enough games to satisfy even this die-hard gamester. At one point during one particularly amusing event my dad looked to me and asked if I was going to blog about it. Unfortunately I have forgotten what that event was so I can't recreate it even with my sometimes eccentric imagination, but the thing that most struck me was how old our little family is getting.

I just finished Little Women for the first time ever and found myself remembering how I, like Jo, yearned, when in high school, to keep my family just the way they were. No one else need get married or move out of the house or get real jobs. We could all stay with my parents and play games and tease each other forever. It seemed like a beautiful plan. But when everyone seemed to be getting married despite my fondest wishes I made a new plan - to be sassy and single and rich with my brother Jared. He was going to work in the PR department for Adidas and I was going to work in their accounting department. Together we were going to have crazy fun with our outlandish escapades. But then he got married and FINALLY so did I.

Now there are 18 grandchildren with one on the way and I find myself really enjoying this stage of life - if only the grandbabies could stay just about this age forever. With a few toddlers, a few teenagers, and tons of children in between having fun and taking care of each other. Why can't time move a little more slowly and children stay between the ages of 5 and 15 a little longer? That is the question I ask to the heavens.

Sorry Dad, I know you were hoping for something a little sillier, but unfortunately I seem to be feeling more sentimental. I hope that's okay.

Oh, and I promise to post more pictures from my recent adventures, just as soon as I get them for the other people who take them!!

2 comments:

Nichole said...

Love the fam...and again...why don't you take pictures so we can see how you see us?

Sara's Dad, Skip said...

I can't remember either what the bloggable moment was, but I am sure it was memorable, even if i can't.

Anyway, my idea of heaven is spending it with my good wife and children and all of their children, laughing and playing games and enjoying being together.