Friday, November 19, 2021

Phillip's Quilts

Back in February, when all of Phillip's family was in town for his funeral, his oldest daughter asked if I would make her a quilt using her father's dress shirts. I felt honored to do this for her. My sister-in-law, Phillip's widow, then asked that if there was excess material, and if I had the time, would I make quilts for the rest of her children. Again, of course. I was then, and still feel so grateful to be able to use my talents in this way.

They are done and have been received so I feel at liberty to post them here.

Caitrin's quilt. These started with her. And this is one of the patterns she chose. I especially love how I incorporated the pockets at the top and quilted around them so they could be usable.

Madalyn's quilt. As I was making Caitrin's these blocks became extraneous. I couldn't think of a better use for them than to make a sister quilt for her sister.

Conner's quilt. I cut out a bunch of blocks and sewed them together, cut them up and found a fun way to sew them back together.

Parker's quilt. Just as Madalyn's was the sister quilt to Caitrin's, this is the sister/brother quilt to Conner's. Same idea, different design. I kind of love the similarities in either set of quilts.

Brenner's quilt. After 4 quilts I finally ran out of dress shirt material. That's ok, Phillip's polos hold special significance for Brenner so it was only fitting that the special miracle baby get his own special quilt. My favorite thing about this quilt was that the binding is from a curtain I had made for Phillip's door to his apartment. Somehow it felt so fitting to use that reclaimed material on something for his son.

Two things I learned from this project. 
1. Making five quilts basically at one time, even if they are only throw quilts, is a BIG project. I definitely needed a break from sewing after the last one was completed.
2. I felt Phillip and his love for his children and his gratitude so deeply through the whole process. Even if he is now on the other side of the veil, he is still very much their father and is still intimately aware of their lives and needs.

I have no idea how most of them felt about their quilts, but I will always feel honored that I was entrusted with such a beautiful tribute of love for this sweet family.

No comments: