Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Lineman Rodeo

I love small towns. Especially the unique activities that occur in small towns. Case and point. The Lineman Rodeo.

As you can see, the Lineman Rodeo is where utility men from ALL around the Pacific Northwest compete in various utility-pole activities (is that the right terminology? Doesn't matter). My favorite being the Hurt Man contest in which a lineman (maybe that's what I should be calling them) climbs a mock telephone pole and safely gets a "hurt" man/mannequin off the pole.

I was walking along this one path that follows the Columbia river running through town and passed this grouping of mock telephone poles with mannequins hanging limply from the tops. Actually it took me a solid minute to figure out that they were mannequins. At first I thought these men were just taking a break from their telephone pole duties. Once I figured out what was going on, I had to come back to see the rodeo go down. Unfortunately I was working on a talk for church tomorrow for most of the morning so by the time I got to the rodeo it was just ending. Fortunately, one last lineman had to take his turn competing so I got a chance to take a picture of him in action.

Do these types of random events happen where you live? Or is this a Wenatchee special?

3 comments:

Claudia said...

i have never heard of such a thing before...Both Adam and I agree that we would be pretty frightened to see a "man" hanging limply from a telephone pole. Glad it was actually amusing, and not so frightening after all. Did your talk go okay? My primary class sharing time presentation was today (the one that I've been having bad dreams about), and it went pretty well. Hope your talk had the same success!

Sara said...

My talk ended up going really well. My "projection" gets me in trouble more often that not. My family is constantly telling me to turn my volume down. But thankfully there is a time and a place for loud talking. Especially since we have a number of older people in my ward. They seemed very greatful that they could hear EVERY word I said. Haha!!

One woman actually asked for my notes. I've never had that happen to me before. My ego was definitely sufficiently stroked.

Deanna said...

HAHA no we are in Texas, they only have REAL rodeos here... :P