Thursday, December 23, 2021

Christmas Kid Dates

This is one of my favorite Christmas traditions we have. Each year Matthew and I take one of the kids for a date/shopping excursion. We go out to dinner with our respective child and buy a present for the other sibling as well as a gift for the other parent. 

Last year I had Dude so this year I took Luca. We quickly got her present for Dude squared away and then, after she rejected all other dinner options, I suggested we try out a section of town dedicated to food trucks. She was equal parts skepticism and curiosity. We looked at the 20ish trucks surrounding this indoor eating area before finally landing on a Crab truck for Luca and a Greek truck for me.

Luca was over the moon excited about getting her beloved crab for dinner. It took her the better part of an hour to eat the crab legs but for her it was all part of the adventure. There were many times the table in front of her looked like it had snowed crab but then she would consolidate it into a manageable lump and eat it. There was nothing she didn't love about the experience, except maybe that after so long of eating crab she still wasn't full. Good thing I couldn't get through all my dinner.

I don't have any pictures of Dude's outing with Matthew, but I will say that he was determined and adorable about what he wanted to get for her.

It's a good thing we don't do these dates until shortly before Christmas because they get way too impatient to exchange their presents. It was all we could do to have them wait just the one day.

No comments: