Monday, December 20, 2021

Gingerbread Houses 2021

 



My kids look forward to making gingerbread houses every year. In 2020 we opted not to participate. This year since we were all recently fully vaccinated and boosted we felt ready to join in family events again. The kids were so excited to go, see cousins and decorate their houses. 

My brother Jared recently switched jobs making it hard to get away on a Monday afternoon to drive up to my sister Melissa's house - the traditional gathering place for all things gingerbread. So instead, we went to him. What a fun evening for everyone. I guess it's only been since this July that we saw each other but it feels so much longer, especially for Dude and Luca who have been pining for time together.

I especially loved the Angel Moroni Jared sculpted for his temple out of saltwater taffy, I also love the "birdhouse" Charlotte made, Sauron's all-seeing eye tower, and the replica of Notre Dame. I love that my children made diagrams Sunday night of what they wanted their house to look like which then dictated the candy I bought for them this morning.

On the way home both gingerbread houses collapsed. The kids were completely despondent until I told them it was actually a blessing in disguise since it meant being able to freely eat the house now instead of simply eating the candy they could pull off at any given time. It took a bit of convincing but when they took big bites out of their walls the next day, I don't think they had any remorse.

Total win. Thanks go to Melissa for making yet another year's worth of gingerbread cookies and frosting. And thanks go to Jared and Charlotte for opening up your home for such a lovely and much needed evening of together time.

No comments: