Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Women's Retreat - The Hotel Adventure

 This retreat was an adventure from beginning to end. So get comfy.

Monday. We got our driveway cleared of its ice and enjoyed the sunshine and slightly warmer weather, especially knowing that more ice was on the way. Because of the impending weather, Matthew encouraged me to get a hotel for Monday and Tuesday night to be in Portland already for my early Wednesday flight. I wasn't looking forward to being away from my family for any longer than I had to, but I recognized the wisdom in Matthew's counsel, so Monday afternoon, we drove up to Portland as a family and dropped me off at my hotel.

Tuesday. I spent the day more or less by myself. I worked a little, exercised a little, and watched copious amounts of TV. Melissa C (who got to come because Heather T couldn't) arrived just before bedtime.

Wednesday. Melissa and I made it to the airport and on to our plane with minimal delay, and yet somehow I still wasn't confident we were going to make it out of Portland. I couldn't allow myself to be excited until we pushed back from the gate - something we never got chance to do.

We spent two hours on the plane deicing it, then refueling it, before they gave up and had us get off. Thirty minutes after that, they officially cancelled our flight and told us to go retrieve our bag and call Alaska Airlines to reschedule.

As we walked down to baggage claim, as we waited for over an hour for our bags to arrive, as I talked with Matthew to book another hotel room for the night, I was surprisingly and beautifully calm. I was patient. I was trusting that all things would work together for my good.

By the time we got checked into our hotel for the night, it was eight hours since we had left and we were both so so hungry. Since it was early afternoon, and we didn't have anything else to do we decided to walk the 1.5 miles to Red Robin for an early dinner. We made it almost to the edge of the hotel parking lot before we abandoned the plan in lieu of an Uber because 1. There was no clear sidewalk due to 2. nothing but ice. Another hour after that, we finally made it to the restaurant, and after yet another half hour, we finally made it to our table. 

After what became a regular time dinner, I was not ready to go back to the hotel, so we slipped and slided on the on the icy sidewalks of Cascade Station, going into whatever stores managed to be open despite the weather. Honestly, it was a lot of fun and Melissa and I felt so bonded together. We had amazing conversation and we ended the day hopeful for Thursday.

P.S. Luca gave me one of her stuffies to take with me to help me not be so sad. Here he is in my hotel bed.

No comments: